Posted in Week at a Glance

Week at a Glance

Thank you so much for your flour and salt donations! The children made salt dough by keeping the ratio of salt to flour to water consistent. They completed a chart to show how the ratio would remain the same even if we were to increase the number of batches made. Please ask to see your child’s math notebook to review this activity.

Your child will bring home a donorschoose.org permission slip this week for the flexible seating project that was funded over the summer for wobbly cushions, exercise balls, mats, clipboards, etc. As part of the agreement to receive these donated items, I am required to submit student thank you letters and photos of the students utilizing the equipment. Please sign the permission slip and return to class. In addition, please consider donating to my new project for nonfiction texts so we can start utilizing the materials once it is funded. Also, I may create a new project this month for art supplies and will keep you posted when that project becomes available for donations.

This is what’s happening this week:

Wednesday: Bus drill in the morning

Friday:

-Language Arts (Benchmark) Unit 1 test

-Library – please be sure your child brings back the book he/she checked out two weeks. They may return or renew the book.

-Class Scholastic book order due. Order online using the class code HKXXF.

Here is what we will be learning:

Language Arts – we will be reading about Queen Elizabeth II and comparing her reign to Queen Elizabeth I. We will continue working on determining key details, summarizing, figurative language, and integrating texts.

Writing – we will be writing an informative/explanatory essay describing the problems and solutions Queen Elizabeth I faced during her reign.

Math – we will be practicing using ratio tables and double number lines to solve for equivalent ratios. We are also completing a ratio art drawing on graph paper, which should be done by Friday.

Digital Safety (in place of Science and Social Studies) – As part of the district’s commitment to student digital safety, we will be teaching lessons from Common Sense Media. Lessons include Cyberbullying, Strategic Searching, Safe Online Talk, and Digital Drama.

PE – students will rotate to Mrs. Garcia Heller for relays.